Friday, May 4, 2018

Here Comes The Sun (Hopefully)


The weather this week has once again been awful to say the least with a good mix of torrential rain, hail at times and strong winds with some night time temperatures still around freezing. Many of our plants here in the nursery are still showing little signs of growth due to lack of sunshine and cool conditions and when new growth does appear it is burnt again with a fresh bout of cold weather, this can be very frustrating from a growing point of view.

Our Sad Looking Fuchsia Alba
Beautiful Pieris Forest Flame


In our own garden many mature plants are not looking their best right now either and are slow to come out of winter mode. I had admired the fresh new growth of a Pieris forest flame with blazing bright red foliage in my shrub border last weekend only to realise by Thursday the lovely new growth had been hit with the cold weather again and my hardy Fuchsia's are showing little signs of life at the minute, we have only managed to cut our lawn once so far this year as every time we get a spare hour to do a few jobs you've guessed it rains. 

As a gardener I know this is a temporary measure and that nature will catch up, I'm not quite sure how it does it but a little warmth and sunshine goes along way. It does mean we have enjoyed some of our spring flowering plants a little longer such has Hellebores and winter Heathers these are still flowering away in the borders extremely happy.



Cherry Blossom
I have noticed beautiful cherry blossoms have burst into 
life this week with pink and white trees bringing welcome colour to gardens along my route to work, and as I took my dog poppy out for her usual walk the sloe trees have more blossom than I have seen for many a year so maybe things are on the up as they say and it's nearly time to get the bbq out. Hopefully there will be plenty of sloe berries this year if I can pick them before the birds get to them to make one of my particular favourites sloe gin a nice little tipple for the winter months a head.



Sloe Blossom (Bring On The Gin!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deadheading Roses - A Few Pointers

Cut Off flowers As They Fade Dead heading roses when the flowers begin to fade will encourage them to produce more flowers and will also...